The Democratic Alliance has requested the Govan Mbeki Municipality to suspend all official and private events at the Bethal Town Hall.
Ms Marietjie Fourie, Govan Mbeki Municipality DA Ward Councillor said the venue has become a health hazard to local residents.
Cllr Fourie further mentioned that on 7 July 2017, DA sent an email to the mayor about the state of the town hall, but nothing happened.
“We also raised this issue during the last council meeting,” added Cllr Fourie who feels that the municipality does nothing about their plight to get the town hall refurbished.
The DA was said to have conducted an oversight visit early this year and realized the following:
1. Electrical wiring not secured
2. Dead rats were found
3. Fesses and urine lying in toilets that cannot flush.
Urine on the floor and spider webs all over.
4. Floors, walls and ceilings are damp with water and on the lower lever.
5. No fire extinguishers. They all expired in February 2017.
6. Stage curtains dirty.
7. Gallery chairs broken.
8. Hall floors have holes and pose a tripping hazard.
9. Stairs to stage are loose and a definite tripping hazard.
10. Ceiling boards missing in the hall, stage and back stage.
11. The room utilized for storing files on the lower level still contains files dating back from 1992.
“Judging by what we have seen on our oversight visit, clearly The Bethal Town Hall has been forgotten by the ANC-led municipality; hence the DA calls for suspension of all official and private events to avoid a catastrophe.
“This must be until the Hall has been refurbished or demolished for a new one.
“On 7 July this year, the DA officially reported the state of the Bethal Town Hall to council and the Executive Mayor of Govan Mbeki Municipality.
“We gave them seven days to respond to our concerns and our proposal to suspend all activities, but no response has come forth ‘til to date.
Currently the municipality charges private individuals R2 000 to utilize the Hall, and the DA thinks that this is a rip-off taking into consideration the state of the venue, it is not worth it,” concluded Cllr Fourie.