Byline: Kelebogile Masemola

23 May 2022

Update: A family in Soshanguve Block H was left desolate after they watched their home burn to the ground in the early hours on Wednesday,18 May 2022.

The fire left a family of 10 next to Caltex garage homeless and without any clothes, food and furniture.

It is alleged that the fire was caused by an electrical pole nearby which used to catch fire, now being the third time catching fire which led to fellow community members and neighbours stepping in to stop the fire from causing further damage but unfortunately it was too late.

Flora Malahlela said that she lives with her husband, daughter and seven grandchildren.

“We have lost everything as we were not able to save anything from the house, furniture, clothes, identity documents, bank cards, medication and school books have all been destroyed by the fire,” Malahlela said.

With the help of Ward Councillor Lerato Aphane, local businesses including Pick ‘n Pay , Ackermans, Molewa butchery and a Chinese shop in Mabopane, stepped in to assist the family by donating different products including food, clothes and blankets.