Byline: Levhuwani Matumba
08 September 2022
“Sport is one of the most powerful platforms for promoting gender equality and empowering young women and girls,” said Constable Thomas Mogadime.
The netball tournament that took place on Saturday, 3 September 2022 was co-hosted by Thomas_Heights and Indawo Yosizo Foundation in partnership with the Social Crime Prevention and Communication officer, Bethal SAPS, Men for change, Women’s Network, Community Policing Forum and Philasande Non-profit organization with the aim of:
– Empowering young women and girls through sports.
– Raising awareness on crime prevention among young women and girls.
– Reducing the youth’s involvement in crime as perpetrators and or as victims.
– Addressing women’s development and the challenges in that regard.
– Addressing Gender-based violence and femicide through the six pillar approach of the SAPS.
– Developing young women and girls into productive crime prevention catalysts.
– Promoting body consciousness, which has been shown to reduce rates of teenage pregnancy.
– Producing positive young role models who will portray a positive image of South African citizens.
The following teams participated during the tournament. Namely:
– Highlanders Netball Club
– Selimathunzi Netball Club
– Glam Squad Netball Club
– Puzzle Netball Club
– Future Stars Netball Club
– Killers Netball Club
Constable Mogadime further stated that participation in sports can help to build self-confidence, a crucial component in empowering girls and young women to take on new roles and challenge the barriers that they encounter.
Sport is empowering, particularly for girls, and challenges gender norms. Sports participation offers girls an opportunity to build their self-esteem, courage, and self-efficacy.
It is a place where they can take up leadership positions and through sports programs girls’ belief in their own ability increases.
It encourages them to take initiative, raise their voices and attempt things they never assumed were possible.
During the tournament, Future Stars Netball Club faced Puzzled Netball Club in the finals where Future Stars defeated Puzzles with seventeen(17) goals to Fifteen(15) and became the champions.
“Sport is a powerful tool and platform to strengthen social ties, networks and engages the community,” added Mogadime.
Constable Thomas Mogadime thanked everyone for their positive participation and for making the tournament a success.